Telstra Towers for Bute/Alford and Robertstown
Posted on Friday, 27 April, 2018
Member for Grey Rowan Ramsey said he is very pleased to announce Round 3 Mobile
Black Spots sites Robertstown and Bute/Alford will soon have mobile phone
reception with Telstra committing to jointly funding towers in the two locations.
process for these sites took place late last year after Robertstown and Bute/Alford
were announced as part of the Government’s priority location round of funding,”
“I am pleased
that process has been completed and I welcome Telstra’s continued investment in
our regions. Now I am pleased the rollout of the towers can begin.”
“The first of
the base stations are expected to be rolled out by the end of this year.
announcement delivers on the Coalition’s commitment to address the coverage
issues identified at Robertstown and Bute/Alford.
“The funding for these priority
locations will also provide for at least 12 hours of back-up power at each
macro base station to help ensure mobile coverage is not lost in the event of a
Telstra’s Area General Manager for
South Australia, Mark Bolton, says the announcement today will help deliver
improved coverage to regional Australia.
“Under Round 3 of this program,
Telstra will be constructing an additional six mobile base station sites in
South Australia and 89 sites across Australia,” he said.
“We know the important role mobile
technology plays in helping people stay in contact with friends and family, and
run businesses effectively.
Nationally this program has already
helped Telstra expand regional mobile coverage by 160,000 square kilometres. We
look forward to providing improved coverage to these locations in the near
106 priority locations
across Australia will benefit from improved mobile phone coverage. Optus,
Telstra and Vodafone will build 102 new base stations across the nation under
the Priority Location round.
said the new coverage would open up opportunities for local businesses and the
community, enabling them to access the same mobile services as those in major
Coalition’s Mobile Black Spot program 21 sites have been delivered funding with
12 towers already complete through the first two rounds of the program,” he
see local businesses and residents in the area benefit from access to 21st
Regional Communications, Bridget McKenzie said construction of the new mobile
phone towers will get underway soon.
committed $220 million to improve mobile black spots across our vast country.
$60 million of this funding is targeting priority black spot areas with poor or
no mobile coverage, like in Grey,” Minister McKenzie said.
Coalition understands the importance of modern telecommunications for our
regional communities, and has implemented a plan to deliver. I’m excited to
reach this next milestone of the Mobile Black Spot Program and look forward to
seeing the first base stations under this round completed later this year.”
Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program is improving mobile coverage across
Australia including along major regional transport routes, in small communities
and at identified priority locations. More than 456 locations across Australia
have already received new or improved coverage through rounds 1 and 2 of the
station rollout schedules for all three rounds of the program will be available
on the Telstra,
More information about the
program and a list of the priority locations is available at: communications.gov.au/mbsp
Media contact: Leonie Lloyd-Smith 08 8633 1744
April 4 2018